The Methodist Church is the oldest church in Hallsville, with services going back as far as 1839 at nearby Fort Crawford. Into the early part of the 1900's the church met in a number of locations as fires and storms swept through the community destroying church buildings.
In the 1920's the church began building on a site across Central from present-day First Baptist Church in downtown Hallsville. A number of additions and renovations, including Gold Hall, were added to that site. April, 1990, saw tragedy again strike when the Sanctuary building burned. Yet, out of this tragedy arose a stronger congregation committed to mission and ministry in Hallsville and beyond.
We completed the new Sanctuary in 1992 on its present site east of Hallsville on Highway 80. This site continued the transformation of the church from a rural congregation to a dynamic, growing, suburban congregation. Within a year, the Sanctuary was paid for and work began on a second phase, completed in 1994, that added a fellowship hall and kitchen, children's classrooms, parlor and office area.
First Methodist has experienced rapid growth in recent years as it has aggressively reached out in mission and ministry for our Lord. Ground breaking ceremonies were held June 23, 2002 for a third phase which was completed April 27, 2003. The second phase parlor, children's classrooms and office area were renovated into much needed adult classrooms and a special area for our Quilters while the new square footage provides a wonderful "gathering area" called Wesley Hall, a Children's Wing for our growing First Friends Preschool and Children's Sunday School, a larger parlor for special functions, a Youth Wing for our active Jr. High and High School youth and an Office Wing for our staff. First Methodist is building on its strong past as it prepares for mission and ministry in the future.